Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: The Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee

"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly event hosted by Jill over on Breaking the Spine where we spotlight new releases that we are eagerly anticipating. This week my WoW is Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee.

I read a rave review of this book on Publisher's Weekly. Between that and the Goodreads description I can't wait for the book to come out here in the States on October 8, 2013 from Knopf Books for Young Readers. It was released first in Australia earlier this year. 

From Goodreads: "Quiet misfit Rose doesn't expect to fall in love with the sleepy beach town of Leonora. Nor does she expect to become fast friends with beautiful, vivacious Pearl Kelly, organizer of the high school float at the annual Harvest Festival parade. It's better not to get too attached when Rose and her father live on the road, driving their caravan from one place to the next whenever her dad gets itchy feet. But Rose can't resist the mysterious charms of the town or the popular girl, try as she might.

Pearl convinces Rose to visit Edie Baker, once a renowned dressmaker, now a rumored witch. Together Rose and Edie hand-stitch an unforgettable dress of midnight blue for Rose to wear at the Harvest Festival—a dress that will have long-lasting consequences on life in Leonora, a dress that will seal the fate of one of the girls. Karen Foxlee's breathtaking novel weaves friendship, magic, and a murder mystery into something moving, real, and distinctly original." 

From the review: "While I always have precocious younger readers who like to venture into the YA section, I feel that, due to some mature themes, this is definitely a title for teenage readers. I think that fans of Sarah Dessen, Rainbow Rowell, and Deb Caletti will love this book..."

I haven't read any of those authors, but the book still sounds wonderful to me. Can't wait to read it. What are you "Waiting on this Wednesday?"

8 comments:

  1. This is something I might like.

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Your WoW is something I might like too.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about this one for the first time today, and it looks really good! Great pick. Please check out my WoW!   And take a look at our giveaway of Hostage Three by Nick Lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your WoW looks like quite a thriller. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I spotted that cover on PW too! And it certainly caught my eye.

    Here's my WoW! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete