Wednesday, May 27, 2015

2015 Armchair BEA Introduction Questions

Who am I?
I am a middle-aged mother of adult children and a grandmother. I used to teach high school science and I've worked various positions in libraries and bookstores over the years. I've been blogging for about 5 years now, the last four of which have been dedicated to books and all things bookish. I got into blogging about books after I came to the realization that I would much rather talk about books and things bookish than any other topic.

Why do you love reading and blogging?
I've loved reading as long as I can remember. Books have always been a big part of my life. As for blogging? I love writing and blogging allows me to have a public forum to write about books and share this with like-minded people. I love it when I get comments that let me start a conversation or let me know how people feel about something I've posted.

What does diversity mean to you?
Diversity to me means variety. If I read all the same thing all the time, I might grow tired of it. Instead, I read a variety of books and book types. My taste in books is eclectic. Even if I do favor urban fantasies and mysteries, I do read and review other types of books as well. Diversity can mean more than just diverse genres. It can also mean diversity of characters within the books we read. And I don't go out seeking that, but I find that I will read anything pretty much as long as it sounds interesting regardless of who the main characters are. Diversity is important because readers come in all shapes, sizes, etc. And it's always nice to read about someone like you or to deliberately read about someone unlike you to try and understand others better.

What book are you reading right now?
I'm actually reading two books. Nightbird by Alice Hoffman and Ritual Crime Unit: Disturbed Earth by E.E. Richardson. The first one is a middle-grade book with magic realism. The second is a paranormal mystery.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what author would you want to bring with you? Why?
Charles de Lint. I love the way he writes fantasy and urban fantasy. His Newford books are among my all time favorites. I think it would be fascinating to talk to him about mythology and folklore as well as about his writing. I was lucky enough to have a friend in my early 20s who introduced his writing to me with a hand full of books she was looking to get rid of to make room on her shelf for more.

And that is my 5 answers to questions for the BEA Introduction. Leave me a link to yours in the comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment