Saturday, May 16, 2015

Quickie Review: Killer Instinct by S.E. Green

Published May 6, 2014 by Simon Pulse
Killer Instinct by S.E. Green is a killer YA suspense novel. It's book #1 in new series. Book #2,  Killer Within, is due out May 19, 2015. 

I think this is the first YA thriller I've read. It blew me away. I read it in 2 sittings. If you like the television show Dexter at all, you would probably like this book. 

Lane isn't quite the typical teenage girl that her sister is. She isn't into cheerleading and boyfriends and hanging out with her friends at the mall. Instead, she is in the gifted and talented program in school and tends to be a loner. And she has a fascination with serial killers. 

Perhaps this is understandable given that her mother and step-father both work for the FBI. Lane somehow feels they wouldn't understand her obsession though and keeps it to herself. With the unwitting help of her BFF, she finds herself examining the crimes committed by the Decapitator - a serial killer who has brought his crimes to her hometown. And once she has drawn his attention, she is worried about who might be the next victim. 

Lane also has another hobby. Taking up for the defenseless while wearing a ski mask and getting revenge on those who appear to have gotten away with crimes. 

I liked Lane even though she was an unusual character. I liked the family unit she had. The book was suspenseful and well written. The action and suspense kept it moving forward. I don't usually read books in one or 2 sittings and yet I finished this one in 2 sittings. The ending of the book was unexpected and mind-blowing, yet at the same time a possible logical outcome.

I would recommend this book for people who like Dexter - a serial killer who targets other criminals. I would also recommend it if you are a little curious about serial killers in general. And also, if you like a fast-paced suspenseful read.  I give it 4 stars out of 5.

This week this book is available on the Simon Pulseit website to read for free. http://www.pulseit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment