Monday, December 21, 2015

Book Towns as a form of tourism

There is an article on Atlas Obscura about book towns where books become a sort of tourist attraction. There are cities across Europe, Malaysia, Korea, and Australia that are involved in this. They sell lots of books in places like abandoned storefronts that would have gone unused otherwise. There are some regular bookshops as well. You can find the article here at Atlas Obscura

For me, this is an interesting concept. I love to go into different bookshops when I travel at all. One of my mother's friends travelled with us once and complained about going into yet another bookstore. 

Here is another link to the Association of Book Towns: http://www.booktown.net/  with a list of some of the book towns. "A Book town is a small rural town or village in which second-hand and antiquarian bookshops are concentrated. Most Book Towns have developed in villages of historic interest or of scenic beauty."

Hay-on-Wye, Wales
And here are more images of outdoor bookstores in this Flavorwire slideshow: 20 Amazing Outdoor Libraries and Bookstores from All Over the World

I'm not sure I would go as far out of my way as some of these book towns, but I certainly will continue to visit local bookstores whenever I go to another city. Do you do book tourism of any sort?



No comments:

Post a Comment