Monday, October 2, 2017

Review: Haunted Nights edited by Ellen Datlow and Lisa Morton

Haunted Nights is a perfect October read. It's a collection of Halloween themed horror short stories edited by Ellen Datlow and Lisa Morton. From a haunted house to wandering Jack to the far-flung future of Halloween, there is enough variety to suit anyone. Lisa Morton, a well-known expert on Halloween, writes the enjoyable and informative introduction to the book.

Of the 16 short stories included in the collection, I really liked all but about 2 of them. I think as far as anthologies go, that's a pretty good success rate. My favorites were about the wandering Jack with the fiery turnip. Yes, there was more than one about Jack, but they were nothing alike. I also enjoyed the uniqueness of "The Seventeen Year Itch" by Garth Nix.

I liked that in addition to Halloween, some of the stories also dwelt on what was termed the time when the veil between the worlds thins, The Day of the Dead, All Souls' Day, and Devil's Night. The variety really made the collection a joy to read.

If you enjoy your horror with a taste of Halloween and other related themes, then this is a good book for you. The quality of the writing is there. The chills are present. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed it.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions herein are my own and freely given.

No comments:

Post a Comment