Friday, August 23, 2013

Review: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick

Leonard Peacock is a bit of a misfit. Maybe that's putting it mildly. Leonard is turning 18 years old. On this his 18th birthday, he has decided to shoot his former best friend, Asher, and then himself.

But first he wants to give his 4 closest friends gifts. His 4 closest friends are his next door neighbor Walt - an older man he watches Bogart movies with, Herr Silverman - his Holocaust teacher, Babcock - the violin virtuoso he listens to everyday at lunch, and Lauren who is homeschooled and whom he has a crush on.

Leonard's behavior is totally believable for someone who is deeply depressed and suicidal. As the novel goes on, it reveals how he has become the way he is. And still he manages to maintain a mustard seed of hope that someone might do or say the right thing to stop him. I think that's part of what motivates him to visit each of his friends before moving on to what he considers the second part of his day.

I gave the book 4 out of 5 stars. I really felt for Leonard. I found the ending somewhat ambiguous, I think it's supposed to be that way. And I liked it.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment