Sunday, September 29, 2013

Review: Summer's End by Lisa Morton

Lisa Morton is the main character in her own novella Summer's End blurring the lines between fact and fiction. She is called in to examine a 1500 year old druidic manuscript by Dr. Wilson Armitage and Dr. Conor o' Cuinn. It appears to be selections of history, recipes for herbal concoctions for healing and the like, and spells. 

Lisa is very skeptical especially about the spells until Dr. Armitage is found torn apart. The police report says by wild animals, but she suspects it was by the mischievous and malicious sidh that o' Cuinn summoned using the book. 

The novella continues with more spell casting, poultice making, and wand seeking adventures. In the end it comes down to one thing. Will o' Cuinn and Lisa be willing and able to perform sacrifices on Halloween, one of them human, to restore balance to the world?

The book has an interesting premise and presentation putting the author as the main character. There is maybe a little more tell than show in places perhaps because of the shorter format. The bit about the sidh was so well written, I was reluctant to look outside after dark for a few days. I did feel that that the ending was a little bit of a let down, but I can't go into details here because it would involve spoilers. It just seemed a little anticlimactic. Good, but anticlimactic. Overall I liked the book and found that it stayed with me after I finished reading it.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in order to provide my unbiased opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment