Friday, May 18, 2018

Review: The Truth About Animals by Lucy Cooke

The Truth About Animals: Stoned Sloths, Lovelorn Hippos, and Other Tales from the Wild Side of Wildlife by Lucy Cooke is an impressive selection of information on 13 different animals. Eels, beavers, sloths, hyenas, vultures, bats, frogs, storks, hippos, moose, pandas, penguins, and chimpanzees are covered.

Each chapter includes notes about what people thought about the animal in the past, what kinds of behaviors are in question, and what we know about the animal currently as compared to the past. There are plenty of facts both historical and scientific. Humor is sprinkled throughout.

Even though there is humor, I didn't find it quite as funny as I expected it to be when the blurb compared the book to Mary Roach and Bill Bryson. I enjoyed the facts and most of the chapters, but I was almost lost in the first chapter about eels and their sex lives and origins. Things picked up from there for me, thankfully. The chapters I enjoyed the most were the ones on sloths, hippos, pandas, and penguins.

Just a note, a lot of the book has to do with reproduction. And some of the historical facts involve less than humane treatment of the animals in the past.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.  Overall. it's well-written and has interesting facts.

The Truth About Animals by Lucy Cooke was released April 17th, 2018 from Basic Books part of the Hachette Book Group.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. My review is freely given and all my own opinions.


No comments:

Post a Comment