Thursday, June 13, 2019

Review: For the Love of Books by Graham Tarrant

For the Love of Books: Stories of Literary Lives, Banned Books, Author Feuds, Extraordinary Characters and More by Graham Tarrant covers a variety of nonfiction bookish topics. He starts the book with a brief history of printing, books, and libraries. He then progresses to historical notes on the novel. From there many topics are covered from book banning and writers' feuds to the history of crime fiction to writers who ran afoul of the law to lawsuits and authors. And so much more, roughly 22 bookish topics are covered.

I pretty much enjoyed most of the book. My favorite segments were those about spies, science fiction and fantasy, and children's books. While this is a very good book, it does have one drawback. It's pretty much centered on authors and books from the United Kingdom. While there are some other authors mentioned, I felt like there could have been a more balanced approach.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. I would recommend this well-researched book to people who enjoy reading about books and authors. Even though this book mainly has a UK focus, there is still a lot to enjoy for any book lover.

For the Love of Books by Graham Tarrant was published June 4th, 2019 by Skyhorse.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. all opinions herein are my own and freely given.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds VERY cool! I'd love to get a POV like this on all things literary!

    ReplyDelete