Thursday, July 16, 2020

Review: Life and Limb by Jennifer Roberson


Gabe and Remi grew up in very different places but with one similarity - the man they knew as Grandaddy. He taught Gabe to shoot and Remi to throw knives. And he told them things they would need to know that they would forget in the short term, but remember someday when they needed it most. He was preparing them for a coming war between good and evil.

Gabe and Remi are summoned to a bar in Northern Arizona where Grandaddy explains to the boys, now men, that they will be working together to fight in this war. On their path they will meet others who work for good as well as those who are ambiguous and others who are downright evil.

Grandaddy also explained that all of those fictional things from folklore, religions, and mythology are real - both good and evil. Among others they meet the Morrigan from Celtic mythology and an African god who talks to volcanoes.

I liked Gabe and Remi. Their struggles as they begin to work together make them sympathetic. I also liked the character of the Morrigan. She was no nonsense and just what they needed exposure to.

There is plenty of adventure. Plotwise it works well except for the occasional info dumps that slow things down a little. They have plenty of opposition to help them grow as characters.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. It has an interesting premise. The main characters are sympathetic. I enjoyed the folklore and mythology bits. I liked the occasional humor as well. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger, but not terribly so. I will most likely read the next book. I do want to know what happens. I recommend this book for fans of urban fantasy with a supernatural bent.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. This did not influence my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment