Thursday, April 22, 2021

Review: The Best Thing You Can Steal by Simon R. Green

 

From Goodreads: 

Gideon Sable is a thief and a con man. He specializes in stealing the kind of things that can't normally be stolen. Like a ghost's clothes, or a photo from a country that never existed. He even stole his current identity. Who was he originally? Now, that would be telling. One thing's for sure though, he's not the bad guy. The people he steals from always have it coming. Gideon's planning a heist, to steal the only thing that matters from the worst man in the world. To get past his security, he's going to need a crew who can do the impossible . . . but luckily, he has the right people in mind. The Damned, the Ghost, the Wild Card . . . and his ex-girlfriend, Annie Anybody. A woman who can be anyone, with the power to make technology fall in love with her. If things go well, they'll all get what they want. And if they're lucky, they might not even die trying . . .

My review:  

It's really well-written. I was luke warm about the heist idea, but the more I read, the better it got. It's quite an unusual crew that the new Gideon Sable assembles. Each member has his or her own good reason for going forward with the heist.

The pace of the story is good. I thought the part about assembling the crew and preparing for the heist would drag, but it did not. The suspense increases as the book goes on. I reached a point where I could not put it down. I needed to know the fates of the crew members.

I liked the idea of a London where magic coexists with the mundane, but not everyone is aware of it. And I enjoyed the descriptions of some of the magical items and how they worked. It shows a lot of creativity.

Overall, I gave the book 5/5 stars. It's definitely worth a read. This was my first book by Simon R. Green, but it won't be my last. 

 The Best Thing You Can Steal by Simon R. Green was published April 6th, 2021 by Severn House Publishers.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. This did not influence my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment