Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Book Review: I Heard a Fly Buzz When I Died by Amanda Flower

 

It's 1856 Amherst, Massachusetts. Emily Dickinson's maid, Willa, finds the body of a visitor in the Dickinson family's gardens. Worse, it appears to have been murder. The victim is the secretary of the famed Ralph Waldo Emerson. Due to the nature of the secretary's character, there is no shortage of suspects.

Emily immediately becomes involved in investigating the murder. Among other reasons, she wants to clear the family name since the victim and Mr Emerson are staying with the Dickinsons. This in turn involves Willa. 

While both Emily and WIlla investigate, the story is told from Willa's point of view. It becomes clear that the duo of Willa and Emily make a good pair. One of them can ask questions of the townspeople while the other can ask questions of the servants and can eavesdrop on people since often people pay no attention to the presence of a servant. Also Willa has a tie to one of the police officers which can be both helpful and a hindrance.

The mystery itself is well done. Mr. Luther, the victim, is not a likeable character. There are many suspects. There are red herrings. And the method of the murder was interesting. I had not considered that someone would use that manner, especially in a literary crowd. 

The resolution of the murder, when it came, came rather quickly. The person of interest was unexpected as was what followed upon the revelation. I liked that so much was unexpected, although I might have preferred a tad more foreshadowing as to who the killer was.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I liked reading about a young Emily and her adventures with Willa. This was the second book in the Emily Dickinson mystery series. It can be read as a standalone. There are references to book one, but they are all explained with a sentence or two. I'm looking forward to book three. I'd recommend this book for fans of historical mysteries with literary characters. Also, you would probably enjoy it if you are an Emily Dickinson fan.

I Heard a Fly Buzz When I Died by Amanda Flower was published November 14, 2023 by Berkley.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher through NetGalley. This did not affect my opinion


No comments:

Post a Comment