Tuesday, January 2, 2024

What I've Been Reading

 

This week I'm actually reading two books 'cause that's how I roll sometimes.

The first one is Network Effect by Martha Wells. It was published in 2020 by Tor Books and it's award winning. It won a Hugo, a Nebula, and a Locus award.

I'm happy that while this book is the first full length novel in the series, I am still enjoying it. It's about 348 pages according to Amazon and I'm about 50% through.

As in earlier books, Murderbot has its humans that it is trying to protect in dangerous situations. And the transport vehicle from one of the earlier books, ART, is back. In fact it's possible that ART has caused some of the danger and/or maybe its people have. At any rate, it's an interesting story and it's well done. I still really like Murderbot and I suspect I will be reading on in the series when I finish this one.

And as of December 2023, Apple TV+ has announced it has ordered an adaptation of the Murderbot diaries.


The other book I am reading is Broadcast Blues by R.G. Belsky. It's the sixth book in the Clare Carlson series  It's my first foray into the series. I'm given to understand that each book can be read as a standalone. It was just released today from Oceanview Publishing.

Clare Carlson is a newswoman approaching 50 with a somewhat precarious employment situation as her boss doesn't like her. Clare finds herself investigating and reporting on the murder of Wendy Kyle. Wendy was a former NYPD officer who was currently self employed as a private investigator. She specialized in working for women who thought their husbands might be cheating on them. That was until a car bomb went off ending her life. Because of her line of work, there seems ro be a long list of possible suspects.

And that's as far as I've gotten. The synopsis says there will be danger. And Jonathan Kellerman described the book as a, "page-turning, meticulously plotted crime novel." So, I'm looking forward to reading more and seeing where things take Clare.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment