Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Reads:Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall

This Friday I am reading Whistling Past the Graveyard  by Susan Crandall. I'm finding it hard to put this book down.

It's the summer of 1963 in Mississippi. Starla is 9 years old and living with her paternal grandmother Mamie. What her father calls her "red rage" where she speaks out without thinking or acts out without thinking often gets her in big trouble. Afraid if she stays she will go to prison for "assault with batteries," Starla finds herself running away to Nashville on  the spur of the moment hoping to find her Momma. Momma left her and her Daddy when she was 3 years old to go to Nashville to become a famous singer.

And so she meets up with Eula, a black woman, and James, a white baby, on the road. And the adventure begins. I'm only 18% along so far. I just started it, but I expect I will get a long way into the book today. Can't wait to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment