Thursday, July 19, 2018

Review: Brief Cases by Jim Butcher

This is considered #15.1 in the Dresden Files series. The stories are enjoyable even if you haven't read the complete series yet. Though if you haven't read all of the series, there are spoilers. It contains 11 short stories that were previously published and one novella that is new. The entry for Brief Cases on Goodreads has a list of all of the stories with about a one sentence summary of each.

I enjoyed all of the stories, but maybe in particular that there were 3 of them about a Bigfoot. They were mostly lighter than some of the others in the collection. I also found that I liked the story "Even Hand" which is told from Johnnie Marcone's point of view. It was nice to see another side of him, a deeper side.

The novella, "Zoo Day," I probably would have skipped if I knew ahead of time that it was in part a dog story. I generally don't read those in case something happens to the dog. But, the story was good.

The stories are all from various points in the series. Goodreads again includes where each story falls in the series in their synopsis here.

I'd have to say overall I give the book 4 out of 5 stars. The stories are well-written. You can enjoy them without having read the series, but you will encounter spoilers. There is a variety. Not all of the stories are from Harry's point of view. I would recommend this book and the series to fans of urban fantasy.

Brief Cases by Jim Butcher was released June 5th, 2018 from Ace.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the publisher through NetGalley. This did not affect my opinion of the book. The review is unbiased and honest.

2 comments:

  1. Ah Jim Butcher! I can't believe this one is still going strong but it clearly is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. There is even a 16th book that is in the works called Peace Talks.

      Delete