Friday, October 5, 2018

Review: Murder at the Mushroom Festival by Janet Finsilver

Kelly, the manager of a B&B in Northern California, gets sucked into a murder investigation when her close friend Daniel comes under suspicion. While this is happening, there is a mushroom festival going on in the town. Among other things, they are having cooking classes at her B&B to celebrate the festival. A group of senior citizens known as the Silver Sentinels helps Kelly with her investigation.

Other activities during the festival included hunting for mushrooms. Daniel was looking for mushrooms on some Native American land, which was not an issue for him because he is Native American. He has a conflict with a reporter who is killed shortly afterward.

The idea for the book was good. I liked some of the characters. I felt like some of the writing was stilted. I had a little trouble suspending my disbelief as to her activities and those of the Senior Sentinels while investigating the murder. Her actions often seemed foolhardy to me.

Still, it's a good mystery with twists. I give it 3 out of 5 stars. It also had some educational value. I knew that pigs could be trained to sniff out truffles, but I didn't know you could train dogs to do the same thing. Also, I didn't know what sinker logs were or that there was conflict over some of them or that they could be used to make art.

Murder at the Mushroom Festival by Janet Finsilver was released April17th, 2018 from Lyrical Underground.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions herein are my own and freely given.

No comments:

Post a Comment