Thursday, October 18, 2018

Review: Toil and Trouble edited by Jessica Spotswood and Tess Sharpe

Toil and Trouble: 15 Tales of Women and Witchcraft edited by Jessica Spotswood and Tess Sharpe is a collection of short stories about witchy women. It was published August 20th, 2018 from Harlequin Teen.

As with all anthologies, there are some stories I liked more than others. But, I didn't hate any of them. My favorites were those where the magic was of the healing sort. That the tales weren't all from the same cultural perspective was a plus. And many of the stories had a feminist bent to them.

Among my favorites was "Starsong" by Tehlor Kay Mejia where there is a young witchy astrologist who is drawn to another girl. And I enjoyed "The Truth about Queenie" by Brandy Colbert where a girl is driven to find out if she really has power or not. And I liked "The Legend of Stone Mary" by Robin Talley which has a nice twist to it. There were more I liked than not.

At the end of the book was a list of all the authors with brief bios that included their favorite fictional witches. This was informative and entertaining.

I give this collection 4 out of 5 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys stories about witches. It's a perfect read for October. It is a YA collection and some of the stories do have a feminist bent to them.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions herein are my own and freely given.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I thought this was a nonfiction book for some reason. And now I am mystified as to why -- the *actual* real premise sounds fanastic, especially as they are from different cultural perspectives too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't all from differing perspectives, but enough to make it interesting. The closest one, perhaps, to reality is one that has a premise like during the Salem witch trials in America.

      Delete