Friday, October 18, 2019

Review: His Hideous Heart edited by Dahlia Adler

His Hideous Heart edited by Dahlia Adler is a collection of 13 tales inspired by works by Edgar Allan Poe. Included are tales by Kendare Blake, Tiffany Jackson, Tessa Gratton, Caleb Roehrig, Emily Lloyd-Jones, Stephanie Kuehn, Amanda Lovelace, Marieke Nijkamp, Lamar Giles, Hilary Monahan, Dahlia Adler, Fran Wilde, and Rin Chupeco. The stories themselves are varied from historicals to science fiction to horror and mystery.

I particularly liked "It's Carnival!" by Tiffany Jackson based on "The Cask of Amontillado." I also enjoyed, "Happy Days, Sweetheart" by Stephanie Kuehn, a re-imagining of "The Tell-Tale Heart."

 Basically, all the stories were good. It was clear where the inspiration for each came from. The book is structured in such a way that the reader can read the originals by Poe as well. It was interesting to see how each author wrote a tale for the modern reader while keeping true to the inspirational material.

Overall I gave this collection 4 out of 5 stars. It's imaginative and well-written. I would recommend it especially to fans of Edgar Allan Poe. But, I can also see it serving as an introduction and bridge to new readers of his works as well. It's also a perfect October read.

His Hideous Heart edited by Dahlia Adler was published September 10th, 2019 by Flatiron books.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions herein are my own and freely given.

2 comments:

  1. I have never understood the attraction to Poe's writing, but this sounds like a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you're not crazy about Poe, you might enjoy the re-tellings. I hope you do, if you if you give it a try.

      Delete