Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Can't Wait Wednesday/Waiting on Wednesday #306: The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix


"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly event that had been hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine where we spotlighted upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. I'm now linking up with "Can't-Wait Wednesday" hosted over at Wishful Endings.

From Goodreads:

Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias meet Dracula in this Southern-flavored supernatural thriller set in the '90s about a women's book club that must protect its suburban community from a mysterious and handsome stranger who turns out to be a blood-sucking fiend.

Patricia Campbell had always planned for a big life, but after giving up her career as a nurse to marry an ambitious doctor and become a mother, Patricia's life has never felt smaller. The days are long, her kids are ungrateful, her husband is distant, and her to-do list is never really done. The one thing she has to look forward to is her book club, a group of Charleston mothers united only by their love for true-crime and suspenseful fiction. In these meetings, they're more likely to discuss the FBI's recent siege of Waco as much as the ups and downs of marriage and motherhood.

But when an artistic and sensitive stranger moves into the neighborhood, the book club's meetings turn into speculation about the newcomer. Patricia is initially attracted to him, but when some local children go missing, she starts to suspect the newcomer is involved. She begins her own investigation, assuming that he's a Jeffrey Dahmer or Ted Bundy. What she uncovers is far more terrifying, and soon she--and her book club--are the only people standing between the monster they've invited into their homes and their unsuspecting community.


The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix is expected to be published April 7th, 2020 by Quirk Books.

Why am I waiting on this one? The first paragraph of the synopsis sold me. I like the way it sounds - "Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias meet Dracula." I enjoy stories set in the South. And I like the cover they're using, even if it's not the final version. 

What book are you waiting on this week? Share it or a link in the comments so we can check it out and maybe add it to our TBR lists. Thanks for coming by and Happy Reading!

7 comments:

  1. I love that cover. Seriously, don't mess with book club.

    Here's my CWW: https://speedyreadercom.wordpress.com/2019/10/30/the-water-dancer/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself hoping they don't change the cover much. Your pick sounds interesting. Wondering what special power the main character gets in it. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I figured I'd be seeing this book a lot this week - I almost featured it. I didn't like the cover when I first saw it but it's growing on me now. I've read two other Hendrix books and am anxious for this one. Hope no dog dies however, I can't forgive him for Max!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On no! They can kill anyone so long as the dog is fine. I would probably dnf a book where that happened. I really can't stand it. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks. Your pick sounds like it will be fun to read. I've added it too my tbr list. Hope we both enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. Both of your picks sound really interesting. In particular I'm drawn to The Starless Sea. Hope you enjoy them both!

    ReplyDelete