Thursday, September 10, 2020

Book Review: The First to Lie by Hank Phillippi Ryan

The First to LieThe First to Lie by Hank Phillippi Ryan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What if there's a big Pharma company marketing a drug for off label purposes? In this case, the drug is supposed to help women have babies. But, there is a terrible side effect in some cases that makes the women unable to conceive.

What if there's is an investigative reporter who wants to bring the company down? Assisted by her slightly strange coworker, Meg, Ellie sets out to do just that. Quickly she finds she is in over her head. Not everyone is who they seem to be, nor everything either. Who told the first lie and what was it?

The book is told from varying points of view. For a minimum, there is Ellie and Nora with flashbacks told by Brooke and Lindsey. I found this a little hard to follow especially in the beginning. I had some trouble getting into the book and staying interested, but things got better.

A good bit of the book seemed to move slowly. Then near the end, there were a lot of revelations and action increased. It did keep me guessing though up until then. And there were plenty of twists.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. Mainly this was because of the number of points of view and how slowly the book moved for me at times. The resolution was really the best part for me. It's worth a read. Just don't expect lots of action. It moves at a more sedate pace. It is a standalone novel.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher through NetGalley. This didn't affect my review in any way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment