Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Can't Wait Wednesday/Waiting on Wednesday #428: Deadly Spirits by Mary Miley

 


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event that had been hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine where we spotlighted upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. I'm now linking up with Can't Wait Wednesday hosted over at Wishful Endings.


From the publisher:

Summer, 1924. Young widow Maddie Pastore has been working for fraudulent spiritual medium Madame Carlotta for nearly a year - if 'work' you could call it. Investigating Carlotta's clients, and attending seances as her shill, keeps Maddie and her young son Tommy fed and clothed, and she's grown to love the kind, well-meaning spiritualist like family.

Still, Maddie - estranged from her abusive parents for over a decade - can't help but wonder what fates befell her brothers and sisters. So when she lucks into two free tickets to a glamorous Chicago speakeasy and recognizes the star performer as her pretty little sister Sophie, she's beyond delighted.

But before Maddie can meet with Sophie again, the telephone rings. It's Sophie's husband, calling in a panic to tell her that his wife is locked in the Cook County jail, charged with first-degree murder . . .

Enter a dark and deadly world of seances and speakeasies, populated by fake mediums, sultry singers and dangerous mobsters! An ideal pick for readers who enjoy glitzy Jazz Age mysteries with feisty female sleuths.

Deadly Spirits by Mary Miley is expected out September 6th, 2022 from Severn House.

Why am I waiting on this book? I like stories that take place in the 1920s. And this mystery also has fake mediums and a "feisty female sleuth." It really piques my interest. And I understand that while it is the third book in a series, it reads well as a standalone.

What book are you waiting on this week? Share it or a link in the comments so we can check it out and maybe add it to our TBR lists. Thanks for coming by and Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I'm going to add it to my TBR pile. Thank you for sharing!

    Come see what I'm waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Book you're waiting for by Lisa Regan sounds like a good mystery. Hope you enjoy it! I'll definitely be checking it out. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  2. I've also got this one. And I've the previous books in the series, which I LOVE - so I'm thoroughly looking forward to getting to this one:)). I hope you enjoy it too, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear you love the series. Boosts my anticipation. Hope you enjoy your pick as well!

      Delete
  3. I am from Chicago so I am going to have to read this one. This is the second book taking place in Chicago that I have seen on Can't Wait Wednesday. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to share it with you. I haven't read many books set in Chicago. I think the setting definitely makes it more interesting. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete