Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Book Review: Keeper of Enchanted Rooms by Charlie N. Holmberg

 

From the publisher:

Rhode Island, 1846. Estranged from his family, writer Merritt Fernsby is surprised when he inherits a remote estate in the Narragansett Bay. Uninhabited for more than a century, Merritt is ready to call it home—until he realizes he has no choice. The doors slamming shut and locking behind him, Whimbrel House–gone wild–is not about to let Merritt leave.

Hulda Larkin of the Boston Institute for the Keeping of Enchanted Rooms has been trained in taming such structures in order to preserve their historical and magical significance. She understands the dangers of bespelled homes given to tantrums. She advises, in Merritt’s best interest, to make Whimbrel House their ally. To do that, she’ll need to move in, too.

Prepared with augury, a set of magic tools, and a new staff trained in the uncanny, Hulda gets to work. She and Merritt grow closer as the investigation progresses, but the house’s secrets are more than she and Merritt bargained for, and the sentient walls aren’t their only concern. Something outside is coming for the enchantments of Whimbrel House, and it could be more dangerous than what rattles within.

My Thoughts:

I really liked the good characters, especially Merritt and Hulda. I really did not like the villain. I felt sorry for him at first, but my empathy passed quickly as he began his villainous deeds. He’s greedy and cares nothing for other people except as a means to an end.

Hulda Larkin and Merritt Fernsby meet the day after Merritt takes possession of Whimbrel House. The timing is fortuitous as the house wouldn’t let him out the door among other things. Mrs Larkin takes charge. The house increasingly becomes a character as she interacts with it. 

I liked how the main characters grow and change in their attitudes toward the house and one another. There’s sort of a slow burn romance going on which perfectly works with the pace of the action in the book. The action is slowish punctuated by periods of high action which increase as the book goes on. 

I wasn’t sure I would like the book when I first picked it up. I was looking for something different from what I was reading and planned to read. I ended up loving it. I gave it 5 out of 5 stars.

The sequel, Heir of Uncertain Magic, is expected out April 11th, 2023 from 47North. I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment