Friday, August 21, 2026

Friday Favorites: 2 Sides of One Coin: Reread or DNF

 


This week there are two questions: 1) Do you ever reread a book? and 2) Would you DNF a book? (DNF = Did not finish) Both questions are personal.

There are benefits to rereading a book. It can provide comfort. You've read it before. You pretty much know what happens. And yet you may see things you missed before. I rarely reread books. When I do reread, it's because I really enjoyed the book. It may be also be for comfort or because it had some ideas in it that I felt worth exploring again. Some examples of books that I've reread are Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach, The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal also by Christopher Moore, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein, Mort by Terry Pratchett, and The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.



Then there is the other side of the coin. Most of the time I muddle through, but sometimes I just can't stand it and don't finish a book. Again I find that most of the time I haven't finished a book it's because I didn't like it and I reached a point where I was avoiding reading it. Other reasons may be because of the mood I found it was putting me in or something happens in the book that I just didn't want to read - found repugnant. Examples of books I've DNF'd are Moby Dick by Herman Melville, and The Valley of Vengeful Ghosts by Kim Fu. There are lots of other people who enjoyed these books, but they just weren't for me for one reason or another.
So, tell me, do you reread books? And which ones do you reread? Have you DNF'd a book? Which book and why? Share your thoughts in comments. Thanks for coming by. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment