Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Book Review and Teaser: Killer Vibes by Jack Friday

 

From the publisher: 

Meet Peter Key: self-proclaimed “laziest private investigator in Texas” (it’s harder than it looks), unapologetic bisexual, dedicated stoner, and the surprised recipient of a windfall inheritance from an uncle he barely knew. Peter’s life was a mess before, but now— as the owner of a dilapidated house in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Austin—he has a mountain of debt to deal with and pressure to sell from every side.

But Peter doesn’t like to be pushed around. And when he discovers a bag full of cash, he starts to suspect his uncle’s death wasn’t an accident. He soon finds himself pulled into a lethal game where not everybody plays by the rules.

Fortunately, Peter’s never been good at following rules.

Sexy, suspenseful, and packed with Austin’s quirks, Killer Vibes is a wild and wickedly funny romp that introduces us to the irresistible and irrepressible PI, Peter Key.

Killer Vibes by Jack Friday was released July 14, 2026 by Minotaur Books. It's the first book in a new series. Praise for the novel included a blurb by Elle Cosimano: "Peter Key is my new favorite amateur sleuth."

The teaser: (Peter is talking about pictures he is packing.) 

"Here was my sister Jenn getting her bachelor's. Here was Aunt Sylvie at my birthday a few years back, both of us burdened by party hats and looking as thrilled as a dog in a cone."

My thoughts: It's a good book. It was not quite as funny as I expected, but still a good book. I had not read a mystery with a character quite like Peter before. He definitely doesn't play by other people's rules. His independent streak sometimes gets him into trouble, other times out of it. He is a sympathetic character. I wanted to see him succeed and not get hurt. He was kind and smart. Some of the other characters were notable as well. I really liked his boss, Grady. And I liked his boyfriend Carlos and dog Brutus.

As in all good mysteries, things aren't always what they seem to be. There were plausible red herrings and twists. And of course some of the biggest twists came near the end. 

Generally speaking, the pace of the book was well done. There were some lulls, but only to deliver more information.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. It's well-written with interesting characters. I'd recommend this book to fans of mysteries with a private investigator lead. Also the reader should know that Peter Key, the main character is bisexual. If that bothers a reader, then they should skip the book rather than complain about it later. 

I received my copy of the book from the publisher through NetGalley. This did not affect my opinions in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment