Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Quickie Review: Black Swan, White Raven edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling

I read this first in hardcover several years ago. I just read it again in Kindle format. It was just as good the second time through. I liked some stories better than others, which is par for the course in an anthology, but I did like it overall. Even the stories I didn't like so much were interesting to read for their take on the retelling of the tale in question.

I think that one of my favorite picks is "Godmother Death" by Jane Yolen. The language and rhythm go well with the story. It's short, but a pleasure to read and makes you think. Can Death be cheated? Also I liked that for a change Death was personified as a woman. 

I would recommend this book and the others in its series specifically for people who enjoy fantasy and retellings of fairy and folk tales. Datlow and Windling are great editors for this series of anthologies. 

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment