Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Review: The Accidental Alchemist by Gigi Pandian

I've read a lot of cozies, but this was the first one I've read with an alchemist and a gargoyle as protagonists.

Zoe Faust is an alchemist specializing in plants and herbs. She hasn't been practicing for a while, but now that she has transplanted to Portland, OR, she intends to remedy that. As she unpacks her crates, she comes to realize that she has picked up a stowaway - a living gargoyle! Dorian needs her help to fully understand what he is and to keep from reverting to stone. Together they plan to investigate the book he was born from until it's stolen.

Not only is Dorian's book stolen, but several others as well. And a murder occurs right on her doorstep. This isn't turning out to be the quiet life she envisioned her new digs to bring.

I enjoyed reading about the characters in the book. Zoe is a sympathetic character as is Dorian. I really wanted them to succeed in all they did. Dorian turns out to be an ace chef as well, catering to Zoe's vegan palate. A few recipes are included at the end of the book.

The mystery moves along at a good pace. The bits about the tunnels in Portland are interesting as is that the neighborhoods function like small towns.

One small drawback is the attention to detail about the food. It does mostly go to characterization, but I really didn't need to know each time Zoe consumed a green shake. On the other hand, Dorian is quite creative with his menus and after you read the author's note, it makes a little more sense why so much is included. Plus the cooking and reading that Dorian does help to characterize the dear fellow.

Overall, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. If you like your cozies well-written with a touch of the paranormal and unique characters, then you should check out this series. I liked The Accidental Alchemist so much, I immediately downloaded the second book in the series as soon as I finished it.

The Accidental Alchemist by Gigi Pandian was published January 1st, 2015 by Midnight Ink. I read the Kindle version that I purchased myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment