Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Can't Wait Wednesday/Waiting on Wednesday #324: Bryant & May: Oranges and Lemons by Christopher Fowler


"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly event that had been hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine where we spotlighted upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. I'm now linking up with "Can't-Wait Wednesday" hosted over at Wishful Endings.


From Goodreads:

On a spring morning in London's Strand, the Speaker of the House of Commons is accidentally killed by a van unloading oranges and lemons for the annual St. Clement Danes festival. It's an absurd way to die, but the government is more interested in investigating the Speaker's state of mind just prior to his accident.

The task is given to the Peculiar Crimes Unit--the only problem being that the unit no longer exists. Its Chief, Raymond Land, is tending his daffodils on the Isle of Wight and senior detectives Arthur Bryant and John May are out of commission; May is undergoing surgery for a bullet wound and Bryant has been missing for a month. What's more, the old unit in King's Cross is being turned into a vegetarian tapas bar.

Against impossible odds, the team is reassembled and once again what should have been a simple case becomes a lunatic farrago involving arson, suicide, magicians, academics and a race to catch a killer with a master plan involving London churches. Joining their team this time is Sidney, a young woman with no previous experience, plenty of attitude--and a surprising secret.


Bryant & May: Oranges and Lemons by Christopher Fowler is expected to be published on December 8th, 2020 by Bantam.

Why am I waiting on this book? I've enjoyed the mystery and absurdity that make up the Bryant & May novels in the past. I expect that this novel will live up to the name of the group that solves the mysteries - the Peculiar Crimes Unit.

What book are you waiting on this week? Share it or a link in the comments.so we can check it out and maybe add it to our TBR lists. Thanks for coming by and Happy Reading!

12 comments:

  1. Ooo... I LOVE the look of this series - to the extent that I've scampered across to Netgalley and REQUESTED the arc. Thank you so much for featuring it, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Hope you get the ARC and enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of the Bryant & May series before but I love this kind of mystery and comedy. I'm definitely going to look into this author. Thanks!

    Crystal Book Snob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a fun read. The mysteries are always on the bizarre side. Hope you like his series. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. How have I missed this one?! It sounds so good!

    My CWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect he's slightly more popular in the UK Hope you check out the series and enjoy it! I added your pick to my TBR.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm...I never heard of this book before. Sounds interesting!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of your picks either, but they both sound interesting. Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. I have a couple of Fowler's novels on my TBR shelf to try. I really like the sound of his books, and this one sounds fun too. I hope you enjoy it when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them too when you get to them! Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. Ooooh I think I need to look into this series. Great choice and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good series. Interesting characters and bizarre happenings. Hope you like it. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete