Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Book Review: Murder by Degrees by Ritu Mukerji

 

From the publisher:

Philadelphia, 1875: It is the start of term at Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania. Dr. Lydia Weston, professor and anatomist, is immersed in teaching her students in the lecture hall and hospital. When the body of a patient, Anna Ward, is dredged out of the Schuylkill River, the young chambermaid’s death is deemed a suicide. But Lydia is suspicious and she is soon brought into the police investigation.

Aided by a diary filled with cryptic passages of poetry, Lydia discovers more about the young woman she thought she knew. Through her skill at the autopsy table and her clinical acumen, Lydia draws nearer the truth. Soon a terrible secret, long hidden, will be revealed. But Lydia must act quickly, before she becomes the next target of those who wished to silence Anna.

Murder by Degrees by Ritu Mukerji was published October 17th, 2023 by Simon & Schuster. 

My Thoughts: This is an enjoyable historical mystery. I really liked Dr. Lydia Weston. She was smart and sympathetic. She worked well with the police. I appreciated that she didn't do much investigating on her own. i liked seeing how the attitude from some of the police changed over the course of the book. It was notable that they chose to consult her in the first place. I liked that not all the men she encountered treated her in a condescending manner.

The plot moved along at a good pace The twists worked well. I was surprised at the ending. The details of her actions as a doctor and investigator made it more real. Overall, it is well-written. 

I gave it 5 stars out of 5. I would definitely recommend this book to people who like a good historical mystery with a strong female protagonist. I look forward to seeing where Ritu Mukerji takes Dr. Weston from here.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. This did not affect my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment