Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Can't Wait Wednesday/Waiting on Wednesday #486: The Bright Sword by Lev Grossman

 

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event that had been hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine where we spotlighted upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. I'm now linking up with Can't Wait Wednesday hosted over at Wishful Endings.
From the publisher:

A gifted young knight named Collum arrives at Camelot to compete for a spot on the Round Table, only to find that he’s too late. The king died two weeks ago at the Battle of Camlann, leaving no heir, and only a handful of the knights of the Round Table survive.

They aren’t the heroes of legend, like Lancelot or Gawain. They’re the oddballs of the Round Table, from the edges of the stories, like Sir Palomides, the Saracen Knight, and Sir Dagonet, Arthur’s fool, who was knighted as a joke. They’re joined by Nimue, who was Merlin’s apprentice until she turned on him and buried him under a hill. Together this ragtag fellowship will set out to rebuild Camelot in a world that has lost its balance.

But Arthur’s death has revealed Britain’s fault lines. God has abandoned it, and the fairies and monsters and old gods are returning, led by Arthur’s half-sister Morgan le Fay. Kingdoms are turning on each other, warlords lay siege to Camelot and rival factions are forming around the disgraced Lancelot and the fallen Queen Guinevere. It is up to Collum and his companions to reclaim Excalibur, solve the mysteries of this ruined world and make it whole again. But before they can restore Camelot they’ll have to learn the truth of why the lonely, brilliant King Arthur fell, and lay to rest the ghosts of his troubled family and of Britain’s dark past.

The first major Arthurian epic of the new millennium, The Bright Sword is steeped in tradition, full of duels and quests, battles and tournaments, magic swords and Fisher Kings. It also sheds a fresh light on Arthur’s Britain, a diverse, complex nation struggling to come to terms with its bloody history. The Bright Sword is a story about imperfect men and women, full of strength and pain, who are looking for a way to reforge a broken land in spite of being broken themselves.

The Bright Sword by Lev Grossman is expected out July 16th, 2024 from Viking. 

Why am I waiting on it? I haven't read much of this type of literature in a while, but I am interested in books that use the Arthurian legend as a base. I'm curious as to how Lev Grossman will handle it and where he will go with it.

What book are you waiting on? Share it or a link in the comments so we can check it out and maybe add it to our TBR lists. Thanks for coming by and Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. I love Arthurian movies but can't say I've read any books that all into that category! Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a bunch of them at one point. So, I'm really curious about this one. Your pick sounds like it will be a nice romance. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Ooh! I love the cover of this book! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I liked the cover of your pick Every Time You Go Away. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I admit I am not particularly into Arthurian stories unless they focus on his half sister. But I have been wanting to read Lev Grossman's books for awhile now. His Magicians has been on my TBR shelf for years now. I hope you enjoy The Bright Sword when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was interested to start with, but became more interested when I saw that both Nimue and Morgan le Fay were going to be in the book as well.

      Delete