Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Can't Wait Wednesday/Waiting on Wednesday #485: Strange Folk by Alli Dyer

 

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event that had been hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine where we spotlighted upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. I'm now linking up with Can't Wait Wednesday hosted over at Wishful Endings.

From the publisher: A woman returns to her estranged, magical family in Appalachia and must embrace her own power to protect her family and community when a conjuring goes too far in this lush, shimmering, and wildly imaginative debut novel, perfect for fans of Alice Hoffman, Deborah Harkness, and Sarah Addison Allen.

Lee left Craw Valley at eighteen without a backward glance. She wanted no part of the generations of her family who tapped into the power of the land to heal and help their community. But when she abandons her new life in California and has nowhere else to go, Lee returns to Craw Valley with her children in tow to live with her grandmother, Belva.

Lee vows to stay far away from Belva’s world of magic, but when the target of one of her grandmother’s spells is discovered dead, Lee fears that Belva’s magic may have summoned something dark.

As she and her family search for answers, Lee travels down a rabbit hole of strange phenomena and family secrets that force her to reckon with herself and rediscover her power in order to protect her family and the town she couldn’t leave behind.

Strange Folk by Alli Dyer is expected to be released August 6th, 2024 from Atria Books.

Why am I waiting on it? I like the comparison to Alice Hoffman. I like books set in Appalachia. Lee sounds like an interesting character thrown into an interesting predicament. I want to know what happens to her and her family and community.

What book are you waiting on this week? Share it or a link in the comments so we can check it out and maybe add it to our TBR lists. Thanks for coming by and Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. I am also intrigued by this one - but because I've been listening to Alex Bledsoe's outstanding Tufa series, which is also set in the Appalachians. I'll keen an eye for for this one, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by to check it out, Sarah. I'll be keeping an eye out for your picks too - especially The Naming of Moths.

      Delete
  2. I just saw this on Netgalley this week and added it to my wishlist. It sounds so good and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is nice. I love the title of your pick, How to Become the Dark Lord and Die Trying by Django Wexler

      Delete
  3. I have this one on my wish list and am really looking forward to reading it someday. I hope you love it when you read it, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it and all your picks too. I love the bookstore mystery on your WoW list this week.

      Delete