Saturday, February 9, 2019

Review: Sisters of the Fire by Kim Wilkins

Sisters of the Fire (Blood and Gold, #2)Sisters of the Fire by Kim Wilkins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


There are 5 sisters: Bluebell, Ash, Rose, Willow, and Ivy. Each is facing a challenge in their lives. The overall unifying challenge though is Bluebell's. She has heard that one of her sisters has a sword that has been magicked to kill her - a kinslayer. So, Bluebell goes around looking for her sisters and questioning if they have the sword and in turn gets caught up in their challenges.

The one thing that really stood out to me right away, was that I had forgotten how much I disliked the sister named Willow. She is a religious fanatic and mentally unstable. My favorite sisters are Ash and Bluebell. Bluebell is a warrior. Ash is a magic user of sorts. Rose is nice, but doesn't draw me as strongly as the other two. And Ivy is dangerously self-centered. I liked Rowan, Rose's daughter, as well and I'm hoping there will be more about her in the third book. And I liked the character of Snowy, Rowan's foster father. He is both kind and capable.

The book moves along at a good pace. The actions of the sisters keep the plot moving. In the end, there is plenty of conflict of different sorts to bring the book to a climax. Only one sister was really left as a loose end. All the others had their plots tied up more or less. I'm wondering where book three will go - what new conflicts will arise and what might carry over from this book to the next.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. It has interesting characters. It moves along at a good pace. And the conflicts and challenges are interesting. I liked that the ending wasn't really a cliffhanger, but was still left open to what will happen next. If you enjoyed book one, you will like this one as well. If you enjoy Norse based fantasy, you will enjoy this series, but I recommend starting with book one.

Sisters of the Fire by Kim Wilkins was published Janurary 8th, 2019 by Del Rey.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions herein are my own and freely given.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment