Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Can't Wait Wednesday/Waiting on Wednesday #271: The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman


"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly event which had been hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine where we spotlight upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. I'm now linking up with "Can't-Wait Wednesday" hosted over at Wishful Endings

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The author of Other People’s Houses and The Garden of Small Beginnings delivers a quirky and charming novel chronicling the life of confirmed introvert Nina Hill as she does her best to fly under everyone's radar.
 
Meet Nina Hill: A young woman supremely confident in her own...shell.
 
The only child of a single mother, Nina has her life just as she wants it: a job in a bookstore, a kick-butt trivia team, a world-class planner and a cat named Phil. If she sometimes suspects there might be more to life than reading, she just shrugs and picks up a new book. 
 
When the father Nina never knew existed suddenly dies, leaving behind innumerable sisters, brothers, nieces, and nephews, Nina is horrified. They all live close by! They're all—or mostly all—excited to meet her! She'll have to Speak. To. Strangers. It's a disaster! And as if that wasn't enough, Tom, her trivia nemesis, has turned out to be cute, funny, and deeply interested in getting to know her. Doesn't he realize what a terrible idea that is?
 
Nina considers her options.
1. Completely change her name and appearance. (Too drastic, plus she likes her hair.) 
2. Flee to a deserted island. (Hard pass, see: coffee). 
3. Hide in a corner of her apartment and rock back and forth. (Already doing it.)
 
It's time for Nina to come out of her comfortable shell, but she isn't convinced real life could ever live up to fiction. It's going to take a brand-new family, a persistent suitor, and the combined effects of ice cream and trivia to make her turn her own fresh page.


The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman is due out July 9th, 2019 from Berkley.

Why am I waiting on this one? I can identify with Nina to a certain extent. My husband jokes that it takes an act of Congress to get me out of the house to socialize. It sounds like the book will be both thoughtful and funny in parts. I definitely want to know what's going to happen with Nina.

What book are you waiting on this week? Share it or a link in the comments so we can check it out and maybe add it to our TBR lists. Thanks for coming by and Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    Thanks for stopping by Fiction Books earlier and for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it :)

    Whilst I do have very eclectic reading habits, contemporary fiction is not generally a genre I read on too regular a basis. However, this one is heading straight for my 'Want To Read' list. In fact I have 'wished' for it on NetGalley as it is not currently available to request - shame!

    I love the cover art and Nina sounds like she could be my double, but then so do you. I am useless at social gatherings and although I appear confident in my day to day life, that is only because I am comfortable in surroundings I know, doing a job I am confident in being able to excel at and mixing with the same small group of people. Take me out of this comfort zone and I am like a fish out of water!

    The ratings and reviews have been really good so far and it will be good to compare notes with you about the book.

    Happy Reading :)

    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Yvonne. And thanks for the lovely comment. Hope we both enjoy the book!

      Delete