Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Can't Wait Wednesday/Waiting on Wednesday #479: The Familiar by Leigh Bardugo

 


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event that had been hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine where we spotlighted upcoming releases we are eagerly anticipating. I'm now linking up with Can't Wait Wednesday hosted over at Wishful Endings.


From the publisher:

In a shabby house, on a shabby street, in the new capital of Madrid, Luzia Cotado uses scraps of magic to get through her days of endless toil as a scullion. But when her scheming mistress discovers the lump of a servant cowering in the kitchen is actually hiding a talent for little miracles, she demands Luzia use those gifts to better the family's social position. 

What begins as simple amusement for the bored nobility takes a perilous turn when Luzia garners the notice of Antonio Pérez, the disgraced secretary to Spain's king. Still reeling from the defeat of his armada, the king is desperate for any advantage in the war against England's heretic queen—and Pérez will stop at nothing to regain the king's favor. 

Determined to seize this one chance to better her fortunes, Luzia plunges into a world of seers and alchemists, holy men and hucksters, where the line between magic, science, and fraud is never certain. But as her notoriety grows, so does the danger that her Jewish blood will doom her to the Inquisition's wrath. She will have to use every bit of her wit and will to survive—even if that means enlisting the help of Guillén Santangel, an embittered immortal familiar whose own secrets could prove deadly for them both.

The Familiar by Leigh Bardugo is expected out April 9th, 2024 from Flatiron Books.

Why am I waiting on this book? I like the way Leigh Bardugo writes. I haven't read any of the books in the Grishaverse yet, but I've read Ninth House and Hell Bent and enjoyed them both. I like the idea of Luzia using her gift to make her life better. And how she uses it seems to morph from the description. And it is a dangerous time both to be Jewish and to have magic. I want to know what happens to her. I am rooting for her already.

What book are you waiting on this week? Share it or a link in the comments so we can check it out and maybe add it to our TBR lists. Thanks for coming by and Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. I have only read two of her Grishaverse series and I really enjoyed them. I look forward to reading this one someday too. I hope you love it when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy your picks as well and this one when you get to them.

      Delete
  2. Oooh! Another book by Leigh Bardugo! Awesome pick!

    Here’s my WoW

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have two great picks for the month of October. I hope you enjoy these spooky reads!

      Delete
  3. I just knew this one would be a popular book for the next few weeks since the cover just released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Have to admit it's one reason I picked it this week. But, the description cinched it.

      Delete